|Late 19th or early 20th century
a) 29cm long x approx. 1.5cm diameter; b) 32cm long x approx. 1.5cm diameter
|When Sir William Watson Cheyne retired to Leagarth House in Fetlar around 1920, he would often treat local people, and rarely accepted payment (at his practice in Harley Street he had commanded high fees for his work). It meant that at a time when many rural areas had no resident medical provision, one of the remotest places in Britain had the services of one of the most eminent surgeons of the time - often free of charge.