|Maltese coin from the reign of Emmanuel de Rohan de Polduc (1775 - 97) 70th Grand Master of the Order of John. He countermarked coins from 1777 onwards to prevent counterfeiting which had become a problem. It is dated 1776(?) and was probably brought to Brough Lodge (where it was found amongst the collection taken to Fetlar Interpretive Centre) by Arthur Nicolson, builder of Brough Lodge. He travelled extensively in Europe in the early 1800s, where he took the inspiration for some of the unusual buildings at Brough, and where he may also have acquired the stone crosses which have been inserted into the walls of the house and façade. The coin is likely still to have been in corculation when he made his European journey.
for a larger image (large download).